First the earth cooled. Many millions of years later, I appeared and decided that having a convenient outlet for self-expression and public exchanges would be a good thing, so here it is. I'll be posting whatever strikes me as interesting, useful, or funny. I hope to get as much as I give, so don't be shy--let me know what you think (click on "Comments (Add/View)" under the entry) and I'll get a notice. I'm Glenn, the Glennformer, and this is Glennformation.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

niche services

In the course of talking to my friend Nancy yesterday, we identified a new market that is not being adequately served. The issue is people having anxiety over getting dental work done. She has reactions to Novocaine, I have sensitive teeth and am not thrilled about the injections to numb me up and, invariably, the dentist wanting to proceed before they have fully taken effect. There is a dental group in my area that has partially addressed this. They call their approach "sedation dentistry" (or something like that) and, apparently, somehow they knock you out for their procedures--even teeth cleaning. We like this idea but it seems it could go one step further for people who are anxious even at the thought of the work being done; admittedly, a smaller subset of people. The answer for them--"abduction sedation dentistry". You sign an agreement and whatever releases are necessary so that, when you least suspect it, agents of the dental group, who are privy to your normal routines and stalk you, sedate you, abduct you, transport you to the dentist for the procedure, and, upon completion, return you to the site and circumstances of your abduction, with you regaining consciousness none the wiser for the intrusion but wondering why your mouth is a little sore. I think it could catch on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but would there be a big pink princess chair? And even if there was, would we remember it? These are things I definitely didn't think of. Damn. Flaws in our perfect idea already.

Glennformer said...

Not a flaw, just an opportunity to sell even smaller niche premium services:

... That's right friends, it's everything you want it to be. For an additional fee, we can:

1) provide souvenir photos of you in the chair getting the work done and attending the 'after' party with the dental staff,

2) ensure that the dentist uses your favorite chair, like the big pink princess chair that used to calm you down when you were a kid,

3) have your fantasy girlfriend/boyfriend from high school standing by to hold your hand and act out an emergency dream sequence while we knock you out again, if you start to regain consciousness prematurely,

....