First the earth cooled. Many millions of years later, I appeared and decided that having a convenient outlet for self-expression and public exchanges would be a good thing, so here it is. I'll be posting whatever strikes me as interesting, useful, or funny. I hope to get as much as I give, so don't be shy--let me know what you think (click on "Comments (Add/View)" under the entry) and I'll get a notice. I'm Glenn, the Glennformer, and this is Glennformation.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

socks on the floor of my closet

(Sorry no photo yet. Please use your best visualization technique as a workaround.)

I'm investing a lot of time in a program where I'm learning to build teams and be an effective leader. As you would expect, the topic of "what's on the floor of your closet?" came up (thanks Dan) and part of my answer, socks, begged for elaboration (thanks Andrea). So, the answer to "socks?" is:

Yes, socks; usually not more than about 3 pair but from a surprisingly large number of categories:

-- some might be just "lightly" worn and airing out, just like my shoes (at least that's what they tell me, although I think that, secretly, they have to be near the shoes they were just worn with to reduce separation anxiety)

-- some might be my "sleeping socks", which see themselves as really flimsy shoes (not at all good for protection against stubbed toes and potentially deadly on stairs) but like to hang out with the real shoes when they are not working,

-- some might have just not made it into the hamper yet (a function of falling asleep in front of the TV or computer, fully dressed, and, finally going to bed, attempting the minimum effort to get undressed for bed without waking myself back up), these are my "free range" socks

-- some might be the ones that don't like being confined to a dresser drawer, preferring to spend "quality time" with the boots they get worn with

-- some might have temporarily escaped the intended trip from the hamper to the laundry

I think that covers it. Well, mostly. Thanks for asking.

3 comments:

nancy said...

can you get a picture up?

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

...you are so odd uncle! however this did make me laugh so i give you that.